Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Collard Greens

Being the true southerners that we are...we eat our greens and black eyed peas on New Years.   We eat our peas in the form of this delicious dip, but none the less we get them.  My husband LOVES collard greens - in fact most years we grow them ourselves, but did not get them planted in time this winter.  I made this batch so I make them with less bacon than he does.


1 bag of collard greens (I wash and remove the stems and tear into bite size pieces.  I suggest you do the same with store bought bagged versions as well)
6 slices of bacon, diced
1 onion,diced
32 oz. chicken broth
1 T. minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste.


In a large pot, brown bacon pieces until almost done. Throw in the onion and let it soften.  Add collard greens and cover with chicken broth.  You may need to add some water as well.  Cook on low for 1-2 hours.  Adding water if needed and stirring occasionally.  Season with salt and pepper.


No comments: