Monday, December 9, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers

I made stuffed bell peppers for the 1st time recently.  If you know me, until a few years ago, bell peppers were on my list of most despised food.  Somehow I ended up eating bell peppers and now I love them.  I grow them in the garden, add them to lots of meals.  Definitely true that your taste buds change. Try something again if it's been a couple of years since you've had it.  You might be pleasantly surprised.





1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 c. medium onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained
2 c. brown rice, cooked
1 c. tomato sauce
1 t. minced garlic
2 t. oregano (cajun seasoning is also great)
6 bell peppers, tops removed and seeds cleaned out
1/4 c. shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350.

In a large skillet brown ground beef, ground pork and onion.  Once done, drain off any excess grease.  Add cooked rice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic and oregano.  Mix well.  Spoon mixture evenly into peppers.  Place in baking dish with 1/4 c. water in the bottom of dish.   Loosely cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until peppers are tender.  Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 5 more minutes.




This recipe will make enough for 6 bell peppers. However, I only do 4 b/c my girls don't like the peppers.  I put the extra filling  in a little casserole dish and bake for 15-20 minutes.

No comments: